Press "Enter" to skip to content

WSJ: US Donates 500 Million Pfizer Vaccines to Poor Countries

Joe Biden’s administration plans to donate 500 million Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines to other countries, The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reports, citing unnamed sources with knowledge. This year, 200 million vaccines will be donated, next year another 300 million. Vaccines will be donated to a special UN program called Covax, which supplies vaccines to low-income developing countries, mainly in Africa and Asia.

Representatives of the Biden administration and Pfizer have so far declined to comment on this information.

Earlier, the White House administration roughly outlined its plans to donate vaccines – about 75% of vaccines will go through the Covax program, the remaining 25% – directly to countries where the situation with coronavirus is most severe, as well as to neighboring countries of the United States and to countries that are already turned to the American government for help.

Last Sunday, The Sunday Times reported that Britain would donate £ 2 billion worth of vaccines to developing countries, that is, more than 100 million vaccines. It is assumed that both initiatives will be formally presented during the G7 summit, which starts today in the UK.

Evgeny Khvostik