Germany suffered a second consecutive World Cup group-stage exit regardless of an exhilarating 4-2 win over Costa Rica on an evening of sensational Group E drama in Qatar.
After gathering only one level from their opening two video games, 4-time world champions Germany – who additionally exited at the group stage in 2018 – knew solely a victory at Al Bayt Stadium on Thursday night time would give them any probability of progressing to the final 16.
But regardless of securing the outcome they wanted, Japan scored a controversial winner to beat Spain and ship Hansi Flick’s facet out of the tournament as a result of Spaniards’ superior aim distinction.
Costa Rica: Navas (7), Duarte (6), Waston (6), Vargas (6), Fuller (6), Borges (6), Tejeda (7), Oviedo (6), Aguilera (6), Campbell (6), Venegas (6).
Subs: Salas (6), Bennette (6), Matarrita (6), Contreras (n/a), Wilson (n/a).
Germany: Neuer (6), Kimmich (7), Sule (6), Rudiger (6), Raum (7), Gundogan (6), Goretzka (6), Gnabry (8), Musiala (8), Sane (7), Muller (6).
Subs: Klostermann (6), Fullkrug (7), Gotze (6), Havertz (8), Ginter (n/a).
Player of the match: Kai Havertz.
Big moments within the recreation…
- 10 minutes: Gnabry opens the scoring for Germany with tremendous header
- 42 minutes: Neuer makes an excellent save to disclaim Fuller after Rudiger’s mistake
- 58 minutes: Tejeda stuns Germany by smashing in equaliser for Costa Rica
- 61-67 minutes: Germany hit the put up 3 times, twice by way of Musiala and as soon as by way of Rudiger
- 73 minutes: Havertz makes it 2-2 to present Germany hope
- 85 minutes: Havertz scores again to place Germany again in entrance
- 89 minutes: Fullkrug makes it 4-2 to Germany however Hansi Flick’s facet crash out
Serge Gnabry’s early header (10) appeared to have set Germany on the best way to a snug three factors, however second-half objectives from Yeltsin Tejeda (58) and Juan Pablo Vargas (70) remarkably put Costa Rica in pole place to qualify for the final 16 and raised the unbelievable risk of each Germany and Spain going out.
But the drama didn’t finish there. Germany substitute and Chelsea ahead Kai Havertz turned the sport round again with a nicely-taken double (73 & 85) earlier than fellow substitute Niclas Fullkrug made it 4-2 within the 89th minute. The victory was not sufficient although because the 2014 tournament winners completed third in Group E, with Spain and Japan above them.
Thursday’s thrilling finale because it occurred
- 7.10pm UK time – Gnabry offers Germany a quick begin however they want Spain to beat Japan.
- 7.11pm – Morata heads in Spain’s opener. Germany transfer above Japan within the stay desk into second place.
- 8.04pm – Doan drives in an equaliser for Japan. They transfer degree with Germany on factors, aim distinction, objectives scored – however are forward on head-to-head file
- 8.06pm – Tanaka bundles in one other Japan aim to steer Spain 2-1. Japan transfer high of group, Spain second and Germany third and going out on aim distinction.
- 8.14pm – Tejeda scores an equaliser for Costa Rica, who go as much as third within the desk, behind Spain on aim distinction. Germany sit backside.
- 8.26pm – Vargas places Costa Rica forward vs Germany – and extremely Germany and Spain are going dwelling with Japan high and Costa Rica sitting second.
- 8.29pm – Havertz nearly immediately equalises for Germany. They’re nonetheless backside of the group however Spain transfer again above Costa Rica on aim distinction
- 8.41pm – Havertz places Germany again in entrance. Germany transfer as much as third within the group. They want Spain to equalise in opposition to group leaders Japan and they’ll go above Japan on objectives scored
- 8.46pm – Fullkrug provides one other for Germany – however that doesn’t change their state of affairs. They nonetheless want a Spain equaliser.
What does the result mean?
Japan end high of Group E with six factors, that means they may face Group F runners-up Croatia within the final 16 on Monday, with kick-off at 3pm.
Spain end second on 4 factors, forward of Germany on aim distinction, and can face Group F winners Morocco within the final 16 on Tuesday, kicking off at 3pm.
Costa Rica end backside of Group E on three factors and, like Germany, exit the competitors.
How Germany’s fightback led to disappointment
Germany’s night time began in encouraging style when Gnabry made the again of the web ripple after simply 10 minutes. David Raum was the creator on Germany’s left-hand facet, and his cross was expertly steered into the far nook by the Bayern Munich ahead.
Germany had been dominant and Leon Goretzka nearly scored at the again put up just for his header to be turned away by Keylor Navas, earlier than the spectacular Jamal Musiala masterfully tip-toed his manner into the Costa Rica space however pushed his effort extensive.
Germany made one change with Leroy Sane changing defender Thilo Kehrer as boss Hansi Flick chosen a extra attacking line-up.
Thomas Muller stored his place regardless of Niclas Fullkrug’s late equaliser in opposition to Spain.
Costa Rica head coach Luis Fernando Suarez made three adjustments with Juan Pablo Vargas changing suspended defender Francisco Calvo.
Brandon Aguilera and Johan Venegas additionally got here into the beginning XI. Gerson Torres and Anthony Contreras dropped to the bench.
Despite being in full management, Germany had Manuel Neuer – making his nineteenth outing at the World Cup to grow to be the goalkeeper with essentially the most appearances within the historical past of the competitors – to thank for maintaining them forward at the interval.
Raum and Antonio Rudiger did not cope with an extended ball, permitting Keysher Fuller by way of, however his highly effective effort on aim was brilliantly palmed over by the veteran German stopper.
Frappart turns into first feminine referee at males’s World Cup
France’s Stephanie Frappart turned the primary lady to referee a match at the boys’s World Cup after taking cost of Thursday’s conflict between Costa Rica and Germany.
The 38-12 months-previous led an all-feminine on-area staff for the Group E match at Al Bayt Stadium, with Brazil’s Neuza Back and Mexico’s Karen Diaz Medina chosen as her assistants.
FIFA named three feminine referees on its listing of 36 for the competitors, with Rwanda’s Salima Mukansanga and Japan’s Yoshimi Yamashita additionally in Qatar.
At half-time – and with Spain 1-0 up following Alvaro Morata’s strike – Germany had been on track for a final-16 tie in opposition to Morocco. But that dramatically modified inside minutes of the restart when Ritsu Doan and Ao Tanaka fired Japan into the lead. And it will worsen for the Germans when Yeltsin Tejeda scored his first worldwide aim after 57 minutes to attract Costa Rica degree.
In a frenetic response, Germany hit Navas’ left-hand put up on three events – twice by Musiala and likewise by Rudiger – earlier than Costa Rica did the unthinkable and scored a second. Juan Pablo Vargas bundled the ball dwelling from a free-kick to ship Costa Rica wild and on the verge of following Japan into the knockout levels, with Spain becoming a member of Germany in departing the competitors.
But a topsy-turvy night time took one other twist when substitute Havertz hauled Germany degree after he transformed Niclas Fullkrug’s cross three minutes later. And then, with 5 minutes remaining, Havertz had his second, turning dwelling Gnabry’s move to revive Germany’s lead.
Fullkrug then survived a VAR test to web his facet’s fourth earlier than 10 minutes of stoppage time ensued, with Germany hoping Spain might rescue a late equaliser in opposition to Japan – a outcome that might see them progress.
But Japan held on to seal a well-known win in opposition to Spain and ship Germany out of the World Cup – 4 years after they fell at the primary hurdle as defending champions in Russia – on a darkish night time for one of many world’s nice soccer superpowers.
Flick ‘offended’ at Germany’s first-half show
Germany head coach Hansi Flick mentioned: “In the first half I was disappointed and very angry at my team and how we allowed the opponent to come back. We wanted to score three or four goals in the first half but then we made mistakes.
“But the tournament was not determined as we speak for us. We didn’t have any effectivity at this tournament and that’s the reason we had been eradicated.
“If you know me and my team, I know we can get up quickly and recover from that.
“We will work on a future that is essential and really decisive, and we are going to see how we are able to implement our concept. In gentle of the European Championship, it’s tough to speak about that proper now after elimination.
“Now we need to assess our work during the World Cup, and head into a different direction. This is the next step we are going to undertake and we will do that very soon.”
Suarez: Costa Rica can maintain heads excessive
Costa Rica head coach Luis Fernando Suarez mentioned: “In this World Cup, we showed what Costa Rica are. I am very calm that we can leave with our heads high. I am so proud of this squad, they are so special. I am so proud of them, more than ever before.
“I go away with a sense of unhappiness, not as a result of we misplaced however that we’re leaving. It’s powerful to expertise this as a coach, much more so within the World Cup.
“The most important thing is there is so much room for improvement. In the next four years there are things we need to change, but we need to build on everything we have done in the past few years.”
Japan’s controversial winner in footage
The aim that ended up sending Germany dwelling…
Germany’s tournament woes proceed – Opta stats
- Germany have been eradicated from the group stage at consecutive World Cups (additionally 2018) after that they had progressed from the primary spherical group stage in every of their 16 earlier such appearances at the tournament.
- Germany have did not preserve a clear sheet of their final 12 matches at main tournaments (World Cups + Euros), additional extending their longest such streak.
- Costa Rica have scored extra World Cup objectives in opposition to Germany (4) than they’ve versus another facet, surpassing the three they’d scored in opposition to Uruguay in 2014. At the opposite finish, in opposition to no facet have they shipped extra objectives at the World Cup than they’ve versus Germany (8 – degree with Brazil).
- Kai Havertz turned solely the second Germany participant to attain a brace as an alternative in a single World Cup match after André Schürrle versus Brazil in 2014.
- Germany’s Manuel Neuer made his nineteenth look at the World Cup tonight, changing into the goalkeeper with the outright most appearances within the historical past of the competitors.