Although the law provides for the indexation of pensions once a year, in 2022, on behalf of the President, the Cabinet deviated from the rules and increased the amount of payments twice, taking into account inflationary surges. Since the new year, pensions will be indexed again, and it’s too early to say by how much, but it will definitely not be less than a thousand rubles on average. The Deputy Chairman of the Federation Council Committee on Social Policy told about this in the press center of the Parliamentary Newspaper Elena Bibikova September 29th.
– Elena Vasilievna, in 2022, insurance and social pensions were indexed twice. What is it connected with?
– In accordance with the Constitution, pension indexation is carried out once a year from January 1 by an index higher than the inflation of the previous year. That is, when we drafted the law on the budget for 2022, indexation was set at 5.9 percent. But when its actual value was calculated in January, it turned out that it was 8.4 percent. Therefore, on behalf of the president, pensions have been indexed since January to a level higher than inflation – by 8.4 percent. Thus, the law was implemented, while the average pension in Russia was increased by at least a thousand rubles. Social pensions were increased a little later, and monthly cash payments for disability also increased. In June, the President instructed the Government to carry out an extraordinary indexation, as inflation went higher than expected. That is, in fact, the indexation that was supposed to take place in January 2023 was partially carried out from June 1 by 10 percent.
– If partial indexation for this year has already taken place, how much will pensioners receive from January 1, 2023?
– Now we are working on this when discussing the draft law on the budget for the next three years. I can say for sure: the indexation of pensions from January 1 next year has already been laid down. The main task of the legislators now is to ensure that the planned increase should in no case be less than a thousand rubles on average.
– What is the size of the average pension in the country today?
– Previously, it was planned to bring the indicator to 20 thousand rubles by 2024, but we already see the latest data confirming that the average size of all insurance pensions, including old age, survivors, disability, is more than 19 thousand rubles. But if we talk about old-age pensions, then here the average value in the country already exceeds 20 thousand rubles.
– Not a single non-working pensioner should have an income below the subsistence level – this is a requirement of the law. But the situation is different everywhere, how do the regions cope with this task?
– In the regions, social bonuses have been introduced, which, let me remind you, are set for those non-working pensioners whose total income is below the subsistence level. Suppose that in the region the subsistence minimum is 12 thousand rubles, while a person’s pension is 8 thousand, and the monthly cash payment for disability is another 2 thousand rubles. Not enough two thousand to the subsistence level. In such cases, an additional payment up to the subsistence minimum is made at the expense of the budget. At the same time, it should be borne in mind that if earlier the pension was indexed, but it still did not reach the subsistence level, then even with a regional supplement, the pensioner did not really receive any increase after indexation. Now the following rule applies: first, the pension due to the pensioner is indexed, then if it does not reach the subsistence minimum, then it is brought to it, and then the pension indexation amount is added.
– When do various categories of Russian pensioners receive the required allowances every year?
– This is January 1 – indexation of insurance pensions is provided for inflation over the past year. Monthly cash payments to all recipients to whom they are due are indexed from February 1. Social pensions are indexed from April 1. And, finally, from August 1, pensions are being adjusted for those who worked last year. For example, in August this year, pensions were increased for those who worked in 2021 and for whom insurance premiums were paid to the Pension Fund of the Russian Federation.
– That is, pensions for working pensioners are still being increased?
– Yes, but it’s not about indexing. If a person worked last year for a month, two or the whole year, and the employer made contributions to the Pension Fund for him, then from August 1, such pensioners are recalculated based on the amount of insurance premiums paid.
– What other important norms for the elderly would you note in the pension legislation?
– Increase in pensions for certain categories of citizens. For example, for pensioners who have reached the age of 80. For them, the fixed payment is doubled, which is 7220.74 rubles. That is, if a person turns 80 in October, then in the same month the pension increases. Also, the fixed payment will increase if the pensioner has a dependent. For example, a person receives a disability pension and has a child. In the month of birth or at the request of a person, the pension increases.
– This year, pensions for the military and security forces have already been indexed, should they expect more good news before the end of the year?
– There is a special procedure for military pensioners and pensioners of law enforcement agencies. Their pension is tied to the indexation of the salary of the serviceman’s pay. As soon as a decision is made to increase official salaries for servicemen, the pension also increases simultaneously. This year, the decision to increase it was made twice – in January and June, but this did not cancel the indexation from October 1.
• Citizens will be informed about their due payments
– Service in the army and education at the university used to be included in the length of service, but now these periods are taken into account when calculating a pension?
– Since 2002, insurance principles have been in force in the field of pension legislation, that is, only periods for which insurance premiums have been paid to the Pension Fund are included in the length of service. They also take into account periods of military service, caring for a child or an elderly person, and some others. There is no education among them. However, for those who have a long work record and a low salary, I would advise you to check the right to a pension under the old legislation, when both training time and military service were taken into account.
That is, according to Law No. 400-FZ “On insurance pensions”, which entered into force on January 1, 2015, the amount of the insurance pension is calculated based on the individual pension coefficient (IPC), which cannot be formed during study. At the same time, when calculating the length of service for calculating the amount of a pension, periods of work or other activities carried out before the entry into force of Law No. legislation.
According to paragraph 4 of Article 30 of Federal Law No. 173-FZ, the total length of service is understood as the total duration of labor and other socially useful activities until 01.01.2002, which includes periods of study.
Thus, those who studied before 2002 at a university, academy, university, graduate school, etc. – in cases where the pension is calculated according to the norms of the previous legislation (Law of the Russian Federation of November 20, 1990 340-1 “On state pensions in the Russian Federation”), – the period of study can be counted in the total length of service. But the subsequent training – after 2002 – according to the current legislation, is no longer taken into account in the length of service for the appointment of a pension.