The US government will continue to restrict the work of people and companies involved in the Nord Stream 2 project, State Department spokesman Ned Price said. Also, the White House will make efforts to prevent Russia from using energy as a tool to coerce Ukraine or another country.
“We will continue to take action against individuals and companies that engage in sanctioned activities to demonstrate our continuing opposition to this,” Price said at the briefing. It was broadcast by the American media. Washington continues to view Nord Stream 2 as a “bad deal” for the EU.
The United States imposed sanctions against the construction of Nord Stream 2 in December 2019. This led to an increase in the duration of the project. Since then, Washington has introduced new restrictions several times. In May 2021, sanctions were imposed on 13 Russian vessels and four companies involved in construction, but the United States did not apply sanctions against the project operator Nord Stream 2 AG and its management. Washington explained this by national interests. Today, June 10, the construction of the first string of the gas pipeline was technically completed – the sections laid by Russia and Germany were interconnected.
About the project – in the material of “Kommersant” “Gazprom” has tied itself with a thread with Europe. “